Book 30 The Devil Wears Prada


The Devil Wears Prada by Laura Weisberger fulfilled the “Book with an Item of Clothing or Accessory on the Cover” for the PopSugar 2019 Reading Challenge. The cover on my copy sported a red, high-heeled shoe. I also chose the novel for its setting, a fashion magazine house, a rarity these days.
What can I say about The Devil Wears Prada? There was a lot of name-dropping, much description of clothing, accessories, and shoes, and way too much debasing of humans. I had already seen the movie when I read the novel this summer. The amazing Meryl Streep played our own Miranda Priestly. The woman is perfection, and I pictured her as I read the novel.
I won’t say I didn’t like the story. There were tons of funny, poignant and ridiculous scenes to keep the momentum of the book going. But it was repetitive. Miranda abuses her power over Andrea. Andrea fusses and hates over Miranda. Miranda abuses her power. Andrea rebels and fusses and continues to ruin her life. The scenes were great—funny, heartwarming. But I bet you could take out six of them and the story would still work.
Understanding that the book is “Chick-Lit,” a term I hate, I won’t go on and on about how silly Andrea was to put up with such horseshit. The purpose of the novel is to be light and funny, perhaps have a touch of romance, and then character growth in at the end. The Devil Wears Prada fits perfectly in the category. But I still wanted Andy to get her stuff together so much earlier than she did. She was young and looking for a serious career. I see why she stayed but…
In my life, I’ve had a couple experiences where I walked away from a job. I can understand that need to stay when you’re a neophyte and worry that maybe it’s just you being new. I also can relate to the tough decision to close a chapter in your career. When I left teaching, I slammed the door hard on working in a school again. The place I worked for was more interested in test scores than the welfare of children. I ain’t gonna name names, but the school is now closed. **grin**
My eight-year experience in teaching at this and another school taught me so many things. One was to do the things I love on my own terms. Now I teach classes for other writers about computer programs. I love it and it makes me happy. Plus no complaining parents or homework.
My point is I liked that Andy would take her knowledge and become a better person, a better writer for having been horribly abused by a woman with no humanity. Actually, I like the book more than the movie because Miranda didn’t soften in the end. I also like that in the novel, Andy didn’t succumb to the fashion craziness that she wrote about. The movie gave a compromise, but I was happy to see the book did not. Some people can never find the middle ground, and that’s okay.
     I give The Devil Wears Prada Four Coach Purses (and that’s high praise because Coach, yum).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 46 The Kiss Quotient

Book 49 Lost in Austen

Extra Book 2: Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library