Book 49 Lost in Austen



Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure by Emily Campbell Webster fulfilled the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Book” category of the PopSugar 2019 Reading Challenge. As a child of the 80s, I read Choose-Your-Own-Adventure stories voraciously. In fact, I can remember with the first five writing all the page numbers and rereading until I hit every page. I’m not obsessive. Why do you ask?
When I saw the category, I was thrilled. Tons of the new versions have come out in the last thirty years. (Man, I’m old.) I recently found The Oregon Trail Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books. There are two old obsessions rolled into one, right there. I joked that every ending but one had to be “Your party dies of dysentery.”
But for this super serious blog, I wanted a grown-up novel. But not too adult that it wasn’t super fun. Because I’m six.
I was thrilled to see the huge list of books in this genre for adults. In fact, I found one very adult story the other day. Choose-Your-Own-Erotic-Fantasy: Night Shift by Joanna Angel. I might read it anyway because it fits this category, and the dual titled one too. Man, I hope it’s good.
On to Lost in Austen. I’m a huge Jane Austen fan, having read everything of hers (except for Lady Susan, the unfinished works and her juvenile writing). I’ve listened and read most of them twice or more and seen many versions of the movies. When I found Lost in Austen was a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book, I bought it sight unseen. What could be better than a book referencing Austen’s works? I could read it and get Darcy? Yes, please.
I’ll be honest. I read the book through one time and cheated only once. The book is set in four stages, following the story of Pride and Prejudice though it throws some things in from Ms. Austen’s real life and her other stories. One path leads to Bath and Northanger Abbey. Another led to meeting Mr. Willoughby of Sense and Sensibility. I almost got to marry Mr. LeFroy (a man from Ms. Austen’s real life), but I pressed on to get Darcy.
I did not. I made it to Stage Four choosing correctly by following the real novel. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong path to wander with my aunt and uncle at Pemberley. I did not run into Darcy as he arrived home. Instead, Miss Bingley ran us over in her carriage and I died, unmarried.
Very sad.
But I loved it. The twists and turns of plots and scenes made reading the story and following the adventure fun. I re-chose once because I died in Stage Two. And almost read head to find out if I should marry LeFroy.
The author also asked the reader to keep track of gaming points like a Dungeons and Dragons game. I used a notebook to tally my Confidence, Intelligence, and Fortune points. I also had to keep a list of my Accomplishments, Failings, and Connections. I don’t think this author as ever been Dungeon Master of a D&D game. Rules were put in place then tossed to the side.
There was no point in keeping track of any of it. It was only used once in all of my choices. Many times she gave points and took them away immediately. Or the author made the decision for the reader. Or made snide comments about the behavior she just assigned to you. -100 Intelligent points for doubting Darcy. I didn’t doubt him. The page said I did.
There were times I went negative but had no direction of what to do about it. Shouldn’t the story be over if your Fortune in -20? It was very Whose Line Is It Anyway? The points didn’t matter. Especially when a jealous woman kills you out of nowhere. 
I’m giving Lost in Austen: Create Your own Jane Austen Adventure by Emily Campbell Webster only four Darcys because a) I didn’t get to marry him, and b) the points don’t matter anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 46 The Kiss Quotient

Extra Book 2: Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library